It’s common for people to worry before getting a major surgery. Thoughts like “is the surgery worth it?” “Are there no alternatives?”, “ Can I get it treated through home remedies?” often cause us to worry and stress out.
When it comes to cataract surgery, the same can be true. Choosing whether or not to have surgery can be a difficult decision. In this article, we’ll discuss cataracts, surgery options, and the cost of the surgery among other things to help you make an informed decision.
But before we get into the treatment specifics let’s understand what this disease means and what it does to the eyes.
Table of Contents
What is a cataract and how does it affect the eyes?
Simply put, a cataract is the clouding of the eye lens. The cloudiness occurs as the lens’ proteins and fibres begin to break down obstructing the clear flow of light rays.
Cataracts can be caused due to ageing, injury, inherited genetic abnormalities, etc. Other eye diseases, previous eye surgery, diabetes, long-term usage of steroid medicines are some of the other factors that can also induce cataracts.
Seeing through cataracts is similar to looking through a frosty or fogged-up window. Cataracts can make it difficult to read, drive a car, or notice the expression on people’s faces. Hence, it is crucial that you get it treated before it severely affects your daily life.
What are the treatment options for cataracts?
If you’ve been diagnosed with cataracts at an early stage, some of the non-surgical treatments your doctor would recommend will include 一
- Eyeglasses, anti-glare sunglasses, or magnifying lenses prescribed to ease the symptoms
- Certain tints and coatings added to the lenses to reduce symptoms
- Wearing a hat when outdoors in addition to quality sunglasses to help prevent further cataract development
But if your vision is affected to such an extent that it starts interfering with your everyday routine then it’s best to surgically remove cataracts from your lens.
Surgical treatment for cataracts
When preventive measures don’t work out well, surgery is the most effective solution for cataracts.
During the surgery, the clouded lens is removed and replaced with an artificial lens. It is a simple procedure that is done under local anaesthetic at an outpatient surgical centre and patients are usually discharged right away.
Types of cataract surgery
The three most common surgical methods of removing cataracts include 一
- Phacoemulsification: It is currently the most widely used method for cataract removal. During the procedure, a small surgical incision is made along the cornea’s edge. Then a small ultrasonic probe is inserted into the opening to break up the cloudy lens into tiny fragments using sound waves. The broken-down cataract fragments are then suctioned using an attachment on the probe tip.
After the lens particles are removed, the natural lens capsule is implanted with an artificial intraocular lens.
- Extracapsular Cataract Surgery: This procedure is used when the cataract is too dense to be broken down. A larger incision is made so that the cataract can be removed in one piece rather than in fragments.
- Intracapsular Cataract Surgery: This procedure is not used very often, although useful in certain circumstances. Here the entire lens with the surrounding capsule is removed and replaced with intraocular lenses.
How effective is cataract surgery?
Presently, cataract surgery is the only treatment that completely restores your vision. The non-surgical treatment plans only alleviate symptoms and slow down the progression of the condition.
Cataract surgery has high success rates. 9 in 10 people are able to see better after the surgery. Your vision gets clearer, there’s less glare when looking at bright objects and you can even differentiate between colours!
In conclusion, cataract surgery is a quick and painless procedure and costs somewhere between 15,000 to 80,000 INR (prices may vary depending on the hospital and region). Since it is not an emergency medical condition, you can decide whether you want to have the procedure. But if you feel like it’s hindering your everyday life to a great extent, reach out to the top-rated cataract surgeons in Mangalore at Prasad Netralaya.
Prasad Netralaya has the best ophthalmologists for cataract surgery in Mangalore and state-of-the-art facilities. Call us at +91 9513596565 or book an appointment if you wish to visit in person. You can also book a teleconsultation.