LASIK (Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis) is the most commonly performed laser eye surgery to treat several eye conditions including myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism.
Like other types of refractive surgery, the LASIK procedure reshapes the cornea to enable light entering the eye to be properly focused onto the retina for a clear vision.
The surgery is pain-free and takes about 10- 15 minutes for both the eyes. The procedure results in improved vision without eyeglasses or contact lenses and is effective to begin immediately after the procedure. One’s vision usually continues to improve and stabilize over a few days post the operation.
- Patients usually do not experience pain with LASIK.
- Vision is improved immediately after surgery.
- In most cases, no bandages or stitches are required, and patients can resume their normal routine within 24 hours.
- Permanent results
- Dramatic reduction in the need for glasses after LASIK surgery
- Patients save a lot of money since they do not need to update their eyeglass and contact lens prescription.