For your eyes to stay healthy and feel comfortable, they need to have an adequate amount of tears. Contrary to popular belief, tears aren’t formed only when you cry. Tears are a permanent part of your eyes. They are always present in your eyes, nourishing and lubricating them.
But when your eyes aren’t able to produce enough tears, it leads to dry eyes. Read ahead for further details on dry eyes symptoms, treatment & prevention.
Common Symptoms Of Dry Eyes
If you notice the following symptoms, you are likely to be suffering from dry eyes:
- Redness in the eye
- Sore eyes
- Blurred vision
- Eye fatigue
- Stinging or burning sensation in your eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Sensitivity to wind or smoke
- Difficulty wearing contact lenses
- Watery eyes or excessive tearing
Dry Eyes Treatment That Works
In some cases, treating underlying causes of dry eyes such as a deficiency, medication-related issue or another medical condition will help relieve you from dry eyes. In other cases, here are a few effective dry eyes treatment methods that will help solve this issue.
Treating dry eyes with the help of eye drops or artificial tears in one popular method. This is the best way to treat moderately dry eyes because it provides proper moisturization to your eyes if used a few times a day. Apart from these, doctors often prescribe ointments as well. It is recommended to apply it at night time, before sleep, because it might temporarily blur your vision.
Various medications help treat chronic dry eyes by reducing the inflammation of your eyelids. This is because swollen eyelids can often be a major cause of dry eyes. They can prevent your oil glands from getting enough oil, without which, your tears evaporate quickly. These medications stimulate oil production in the glands around your eyes, thus eliminating dry eyes.
- Punctal plugs
A punctal plug or tear duct plug is a small device that is placed in the tear duct. This placement blocks the tear duct, preventing the drainage of liquid from the eye.
- Eye Light Therapy
Another effective and non-invasive surgical option available is Novel Eye Light Therapy. This is a patented and exclusive procedure available at Prasad Netralaya and has been shown to be very effective at treating dry eyes. There are two variations of this procedure Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Therapy and Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT).
How To Prevent Dry Eyes
The best way to deal with dry eyes is to manage it on a daily basis, when it is in the initial stage, rather than looking for ways to cure it permanently. You cannot take eye drops or medications forever, and in chronic cases, it can always come back. Here are a few ways in which you can take care of your eyes regularly to prevent dry eyes and manage it in the long run.
- Avoid air from hair dryers, air conditioners, fans, heater and things like that from blowing directly on your face.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes when you are outdoors.
- Avoid straining your eyes and take frequent breaks during tasks like reading, looking at screens, etc.
- Avoid smoke from entering your eyes as smoke can worsen your dry eyes.
- Take extra care of your eyes when you are in areas of high altitude or desert regions since these places have extremely dry air. Frequently closing your eyes for a few minutes can help slow down the evaporation of your tears.
- Consume more omega-3 fatty acids that are present in foods such as flaxseed, fish, walnuts and oysters. It is known to reduce inflammation and protect cell membranes in the eyes and the rest of the body.
Are you suffering from dry eyes? Get your eyes checked and treated at Prasad Netralaya, Mangalore and Udupi’s most trusted Eye Care Hospital. Our experienced staff is here to make sure that you receive the quality ophthalmological care that you deserve. Call us at +91 9513596565 or book an appointment if you wish to visit in person.